Bleaching teeth outside the dental office

Hydrogen peroxide has been used for many years to bleach teeth. It was usually applied by dentists and used with heat and/or light to stimulate its bleaching action.

In recent years, new techniques have allowed patients to apply carbamide peroxide to their teeth at home using custom fitted trays. Although weak bleaching compounds can be purchase in pharmacies or grocery stores, the fastest bleaching compounds and best fitting trays may be obtained only from dentists. This type of bleach should be supervised by dentists or dental auxillaries.

Potential side effects

The experience of tens of thousands of patients using home bleaching has shown the following occasional side effects:

  1. TOOTH SENSITIVTY A few people experience tooth sensitivity. This condition is minimized if bleaching times are reduced, or it is eliminated if bleaching is discontinued.
  2. GUM TENDERNESS Occasionally, gum tissues become irritated, and sometimes a mild sloughing of the superficial layers of gums occur. Reduction of bleaching time or elimination of bleach stops the sloughing.
  3. DISCOMFORT IN JAW POINTS If bleaching trays are worn too long during any given day, discomfort in jaw joints may occur. It is reversible when the bleaching trays are removed.

Patient Instructions

  1. Brush and floss teeth. Rinse mouth well.
  2. Place small amount of bleaching gel into each space in the tray for every tooth to be lightened (As shown in office).
  3. Insert the tray into your mouth over the teeth, expectorate excess gel and foam, and wear loaded tray for 1 hour.
  4. Rinse tray with tap water after use, and tip it upside down to allow drying before next use. Flouride containing toothpaste and mouth rinse may be used if desired.
  5. Discontinue bleaching if tooth sensitivity, gum irritation, or any other negative event occurs. Notify us of the problem immediately, and we will advise you.
  6. You may use gel for up to 4 weeks, or longer if OK'd by the office.